Engineering Food Microstructure for Programmed Nutrition
What we do:
- Apply engineering and material science to design food microstructures with programmed nutrient delivery -creatinghealthier food products with desirable nutritional qualities
- For example, using extrusion technology to increase protein bioavailability and slow down glucose releasefrom lentils and chickpea products.
What you will learn:
- Food processing and engineering concept to develop food products with microstructures that lead todesirable nutritional and sensory qualities.
- Equipment: twin-screwextruder, powder X-raydiffractometer, scanning electron microscopy, texture analyzer,and, when available, synchrotron X-ray and neutron scattering.
- Labs: prototype development, simulated enzymatic gastrointestinal digestion, human sensory tests
Who should join:
Students interested in careers or graduate schools in food science, food engineering, orsustainable food systems.
For more information, contact Wan-Yuan Kuo at